Do you fit this description?
- Experienced and highly motivated
- Intellectually curious
- Looking for a challenging and stimulating environment
- Prefers a workplace that provides autonomy and rewards independent and critical thinking
- Goes beyond ordinary compliance to provide outstanding service to clients
If so, you’d fit right in at MMA – and we’d like to speak with you!
How To Apply
We offer a challenging and stimulating work environment where we encourage staff to “be the partner” and take an active role in client relationships. If you’re looking for a firm that treats you as a professional with flexibility and opportunities to grow, please contact us.
Send your resume and cover letter, including the employment application to:
***For a form-based (fillable PDF) employment application, please send a request to email@example.com.
We will review your resume, and if we have an open position that matches your skills, we will contact you.
Mowat Mackie & Anderson LLP is an equal opportunity employer.
Mowat Mackie & Anderson LLP (“MMA”) is looking to add an experienced Firm Administrator with 10 plus years of experience to lead and manage all administrative affairs and is actively involved in all management functions of the firm. The Firm Administrator operates at the partner level and reports to the Partner group. Formalizes finance, personnel and general administration policy. Assists the HR Director in the firm’s recruiting program and hiring accountants. Directs administrative personnel recruiting. Directs orientation, training and/or evaluation of both accounting and administrative staff with the HR Director and the Education and Training Committee. Directs and supervises the firm’s financial affairs. Supervises management data and reporting. Responsible for supervision of all administrative personnel and physical facilities. Is an ex officio member of all committees and is an active participant in all partner meetings.
Meet Mowat Mackie & Anderson LLP
MMA is a dynamic and responsive, high-value CPA firm that serves closely-held businesses, high net worth individuals, trusts and estates, and other clients throughout California and globally.
We have active and engaged employees and support our team with a robust benefits package as well as numerous perks including team activities, training, education stipends, and support for community involvement. Additional benefits include competitive compensation, 401(k) and profit-sharing, medical/dental/vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
This is an ideal position for a smart, motivated individual who is passionate about delivering strategic value in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. A strong ability to take charge and meet tight deadlines will ensure your success in this multi-faceted role.
Your responsibilities will include, by discipline:
- Control workflow to regulate and maintain a balanced workload for administrative team with minimum of overtime.
- Monitor client due dates to ensure all work is completed in a timely manner. Communicate deadline and workload conflicts to partners as needed to ensure timely completion of work.
- Standardize office procedures, systems and forms. Recommend system revisions and implement new forms and procedures as necessary.
- Maintain master client data base. Issue new client reports and assimilate new clients into the firm.
- Manage and control the purchase of supplies so that adequate inventory is maintained in all areas.
- Oversee the research and recommendations relating to the purchase or lease of necessary equipment, including: FAX machines, copier/scanners, telephone systems, computers and software. Deal with various vendors supplying office equipment.
- Stay abreast of trends in office automation and recommend improvements to existing systems when appropriate.
- Arrange for regular office equipment maintenance and negotiate appropriate service contracts.
- Maintain an effective digital filing system for client and administrative files (DMS).
- Assist Tax and Audit Partners with maintenance of the firm’s reference materials (electronic and paper).
- Attend partner meetings, handling any physical arrangements as needed. Works with Partners to prepare and distribute agendas.
- Establish times, dates and location of necessary firm-wide meetings.
- Hold periodic administrative team meetings, keeping administrative team informed of any management decisions relating to them. Encourage and promote team effort on the part of the entire administrative group soliciting their input and enlisting their support relating to the efficient operation of the office.
- Work with Tax Partners to establish forms, procedures and guidelines to promote the efficient operation of the individual income tax area.
- Maintain all Firm insurance records. Provide Partners with cost and coverage comparisons as needed. Recommend appropriate revisions, additions, or deletions to coverage.
- Facilitate all Firm social events in conjunction with the Social Committee recommendations to show appreciation for the entire MMA team. Others are recruited to help as needed to carry out the details.
- Responsible for determining the number of administrative personnel needed to efficiently process client engagements and support firm activities. Develop job descriptions for all administrative positions.
- Direct responsibility for performance of Administrative team, Billing department and Technology department.
- Supervise all internal accounting functions, including preparation of monthly financial statements for the Partner meeting. Provides statistical reports reflecting each Partner’s performance on a monthly basis.
- Approve all accounts payable checks for Partner approval.
- Monitor accounts receivable and cash flow. Supervise processing and mailing of accounts receivable statements monthly. Supervise follow up collection letters and calls when appropriate and work on collection of difficult accounts.
- Reconcile all the Firm’s bank accounts monthly.
- Prepare the Firm’s payroll and supervise through third party the preparation of the payroll tax returns.
- Monitor employee time sheets and expense reports for accuracy.
- Supervise time and billing system (Practice). Monitor timely preparation of billings and distribution of management reports.
- Monitor expenditures on a monthly basis.
- Working closely with HR and IT for the coordination and supervision of all marketing efforts, including the firm brochure and the website development.
- Responsible for all Firms’ publicity efforts. Release as necessary, all publications offering firm expertise on tax and financial issues.
- Responsible for Firm image regarding appearance of letterhead, logo, tax folders, financial statement covers, tax returns, letter style and all printed material going outside the Firm.
Information Technology Systems:
- Manages the Firm’s internal technology operations, including supervision of the Firm’s Network administrator and other internal technology personnel.
- Maintains current knowledge of developments in computer hardware and software as related to CPA firm operation.
- Direct involvement in hiring, supervising and evaluating technology personnel.
- Daily involvement with Network Administrator to ensure smooth and efficient computer operation for all users.
- Supervise office maintenance to achieve a first-class, professional appearance
- Supervise the selection, purchase and coordination of office furniture
- Analyze space utilization, office layout and recommend revisions, as needed
- Coordination of cleaning of carpets, painting, general upkeep
- Initial contact for prospective clients. Coordinate with Managers to reach out to potential client and vet for acceptance.
- Assist the Admin Team during peak periods with assembly, scanning, mailing, phones, general office upkeep, etc.
- General oversight for process efficiency addressing problems areas for solutions
- Other one-off tasks include: 401k annual audit, annual workers’ comp audit, submission of Sales and Use tax filing, annual PCI reporting, assist tax staff with Firm’s annual 571-L submission, annual review of Firm’s insurance coverage working closely with a partner to evaluate and make changes as necessary (does not include health insurance).
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years work experience as a Firm Administrator.
- College degree preferred.
- Public Accounting Firm Manager (PAFM) certification preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Quick Books.
- Strong leadership and personnel management skills.
- Strong analytical skills to assess problems or unusual situations and quickly determine efficient solutions.
- Preferred working knowledge of CCH Products (ProSystem fx Tax, Engagement, Client Portal, etc.).
Additional Knowledge and Skills:
- Able to prioritize, multitask, work under pressure and handle interruptions while maintaining flexibility in work assignments.
- Ability to independently perform all the duties of the position efficiently and effectively.
- Good at meeting deadlines and solving problems.
- Comfortable providing feedback.
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing priorities and needs.
- You are highly collaborative and team-oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure in a deadline-oriented business.
- You work well with little direction but know when to ask for help and keep your team informed.
Mowat Mackie & Anderson, LLP is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
If you are interested in this opportunity and meet the requirements noted above, please complete the employment application and email a resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Direct inquiries only, no agencies or phone calls please.